Friday, August 14, 2009

So What goes into a sermon? (part 1)

I have the great opportunity next Sunday to preach the riches of God's Word!! So I thought I would blog my Journey of Sermon prep. Of course all sermons are birthed and bathed in prayer ,one should hope. This sermon started several weeks ago in simple prayer: God show me what you would have me to preach on. last week I had very clear dream about a video called cardboard testimony on Tangle.com. Let me start by saying that dreams to me are last in my book on how God speaks to us and should be met with some scepticism. So I prayed and asked God for some confirmation through his Word and any other means. So God gave me many confirmations through people and circumstances, plus this past Sunday we sort had a spontaneous testimony time. So basically I knew that my sermon was to be about sharing your testimony to people. So immediately I thought of Paul and how he shared his testimony all throughout the book of Acts. I had blood work drawn yesterday and while waiting I was drawn to the Gideons bible on the table. I thumbed through Acts being familiar with the book and wanting Paul's later testimony in the book of Acts, because I felt many were use to his early testimony. Acts 26 was perfect and I knew that this was the text. So now I am at the research stage and getting my self familiar with the text with prayer and mediation. Questions now race through my mind like ,Who was the author and what was the historical/cultural background? How does the book of Acts fit into the New Testament and who are the main characters in the text. So now I will pour over the text. I only wish that people would know about the riches I am about to mine.

2 comments:

  1. All of this process sounds very familiar...but I don't know where I've heard it before! It sounds like the practical wisdom shared at a Bible college/seminary.
    I'm just messing with you.
    I am intrigued at how God helps and directs other servants to prepare. So do you manuscript or just use an outline at final form?
    P.S. Emily and I have been praying for you. And while I couldn't get the blog to let me post a comment the other day, we were praying for you Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no I use a manuscript and try to memorize most of it by practicing.Also I feel freedom in alowing the Holy Spirit to use any thing that I have studied or learned to that point.

    ReplyDelete